Friday, October 02, 2009

Conductor with a baton or without?


Which one you prefer?
A lot of people said that a conductor with a baton is like a musician with an instrument
However, in my own personal opinion...I disagree
Why?
Because I always believe that the orchestra...is the conductor's instrument...not the baton
the baton is just a symbol, it does not show how great the sound created by a conductor...
it's the orchestra
the better the conductor, the sound produced by the orchestra will be much better too...
it is not because of the baton
I know, it will make a conductor look more professional with a baton
but, in my opinion...
it does not make a conductor looks free
it's like, his/her expressions towards the music is trap inside the baton
because as the audience, we only see the conductor from the back
and see the conductor moves his/her hands without a baton looks so free...and satisfying
while as a musician who play with the orchestra...
a conductor who conducts without a baton...
has more spirit in both his/her facial expression and body language because he/she is able to let his/her fingers move freely with his/her arms...
well...i don't know...
it's just my opinion...
;)

what about you?

Photobucket

5 comments:

Raveneye said...

Well, I prefer to conduct WITHOUT the baton. I found out that I can do more expression with my hand not disturbed by the baton. Other thing is, I know that I cannot hold the baton in a correct way. If I did pown, dia akan lari position.

Hmm~

Wani said...

I prefer to conduct without a baton too.

BUT, the question is...

You prefer to SEE a conductor WITH or WITHOUT a baton?

that's my question in this post...

Raveneye said...

Hmm, I dont really mind about that. U watched "Copying Beethoven" too rite? Kan ada part yang dia conduct without baton, and I really admire his style that time.

To people without musical basic but really love to hear orchestra will found out that conducting without a baton would be awkward, but we are musicians, we dont mind about it, i guess...

Well, Mr Razel sendiri pun conduct the orchestra without a baton too...

But, really, u need to ask him whether we can conduct without a baton la~

Wani said...

well...aku rasa masa exam nnt aku xnk pakai baton la...coz I don't have one, so I never practice with a baton. nk practice pakai pen lain feel die...coz it's not a baton. lolx. ntah la, nnt aku akn bagi tau en.radzl yg aku xnk conduct pakai baton kowt.

owh btw, off the subject jap...about ETR, office nye senarai barang aku yang buat tau, itu under administrative plan. aku dh check buku ETR ari tue...tu je. lolx.

Raveneye said...

oh, just office jer ke? tak termasuk kitchenware kan? kalau masuk kitcheware, aku belasah kau (hehehe...), gurau jer la...

ok, thanks for that~