Monday, January 31, 2011

Addiction & Obsession?

Addiction and Obsession. What's the difference between the two? Which one is more extreme when people say I'm addicted to cheese cake or I'm obsessed with cheese cake? Do people use these words with a good understanding of the two or just simply use it to exaggerate a certain statement to make a conversation more....juicy. First, let see the definition of Addiction and Obsession according to the Online Dictionary, shall we?

Addiction;
1. Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance
2. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with/or involved in something

Obsession;
1. The state in which a person's mind is completely filled with thoughts of one particular thing/person in a way that is not normal
2. A person or thing that somebody thinks about too much

Basically, the level of "addict/addicted/addiction" or "obsess/obsessed/obsession" used by certain people in a conversation still refer to how much of it is true. I believe, most of them use it to make the story more interesting but it doesn't really equal to addiction or obsession...maybe more like a habit or an interest. Addicted people, it doesn't have to be related to drugs, it could be something else with the same reaction like drugs. You know, something that will change their mood if they don't get their object of addiction in a day. Such as, some people don't feel right if they don't have rice in their meals in a day, they MUST have rice...it's one of their NEED daily. Maybe something else, video games...some kids MUST play video game everyday otherwise they won't be able to sleep at night. What about some special condition of addiction such as "shopaholic"? They MUST buy something, even if they don't have enough money, they will do what they can to get the money and just buy something. They won't be able to sit still if they don't buy something. Of course, there are different level of addictions, some are manageable and there are some who might need professional help. Everyone have their "little" addiction to something that they really like. Things that they are willing to spend their money for, if it cost a lot then they'll be willing to work for the money to earn it. Like me, I love books, I like to read. So, every once in awhile I will go to a book store and I won't leave until I found a book that I will be interested to buy.

What about obsession? I honestly do not like the word "obsess/obsessed/obsession"...I don't know why. There are times when I use the word, but not very often. Why? Because I don't like obsess people...I think it's just creepy. For me, obsessed people are a lot more "psycho" than addicted people. Especially if a certain person obsessed with another person. They'll become a stalker. Thankfully, I don't have a stalker and thankfully, I'm not obsessed with anything or anyone. I mean, don't get confused with people who are in love. Just because someone is in love with some things or someone, it doesn't make them obsessed with it. Obsessed people, they just can't get enough of something or someone. Every single day...their object of obsession is the only thing in their mind. Like the definition described...in a NOT normal ways. Which is why I find it scary. Sometimes I wonder if there's something mentally wrong with obsessed people.It's just scary...

No comments: