Sunday, February 23, 2014

[Review] Saving Mr. Banks

This movie just hit the theatres here in Malaysia a few days ago.  I watched it today, spent some quality time alone and what better ways to do it than to watch a movie based on something that was part of my childhood?  I will try my very best not to include any spoilers.  Though, I must warn you in advance that I am currently listening to Schoenberg's music, so if I seem distracted in my writing, do excuse me.

Where to begin?  Well, from the very beginning of the movie.  I love the opening theme, a piano solo version of Chim Chimney.  Very nostalgic opening because that song is one of my favourite from Mary Poppins.  I heard a few grown ups acting like kids again by singing along to the opening, myself included :)  The story itself, is very heartwarming.  That is the best way I can put it.  Behind the scene is always different from what we expect.  The challenges that both Walt Disney and Mrs. Travers faced in completing the pre-production of the movie making of Mary Poppins.  Saving Mr. Banks definitely highlights something about life and how one can be inspired to create something absolutely wonderful based on one's memories.

I think both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson did a good job in portraying these big roles.  I mean, both Walt Disney and P.L. Travers are a huge part of many people's life.  I personally grew up watching Disney movies.  I remember watching Snow White at a very young age.  I remember how I really think umbrella can make me fly just like Mary Poppins.  So, I have to say job well done to both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson for carrying out such big roles.

I personally do love this movie.  Probably because I grew up watching Disney.  Heck, I still watch Disney Classics until today.  I would definitely recommend people to watch this movie.  I don't know how to put it into words precisely, but what I can say is that it is relatable.  Mostly because it is part of our childhood ^_^

taken from Google Image

No comments: