Monday, March 03, 2014

[REVIEW] The Monuments Men

Yesterday, I spent some quality time with my long time friends, Aiman and Tity.  We watched a movie, The Monuments Men.  Completely my plan, LOL.  Since the first time I watched the trailer last year, I've been waiting patiently for the movie to come to Malaysia.  What fascinate me most about this movie is that it highlights of the importance of arts to the history of mankind.

What I think about this movie?  Great!  The effort that those people put to save arts!!  I admire that gesture very much.  Thanks to them we are still able to appreciate them and understand the life of people during those days.  Of course, not every movie is everyone's cup of tea.  So I'm sure there will be people who will not be able to enjoy this movie as much as I do.  However, if you know it in your heart that you appreciate arts, then this is the movie for you!

I must say it here, that I just love the scoring of this film!!  Sometimes it sounded like Debussy, sometimes it sounded like John Williams, and I swear there is a moment where it sounded like John William's Jaws in the bass with Stravinsky-ish style in the top layer.  Not to forget, there is also some element that sounded like American's patriotic marching song, it is set in WWII afterall.  I just don't know how to describe it, but I enjoyed the scoring very much.  Congrats Alexander Desplat for the score.  This is not the first scoring of Desplat that I enjoyed.  He is quite a versatile film scorer.  Good job Mr. Desplat!!

I am surprised that this movie is not as well-celebrated as I hope it will be.  Kinda show how the society is looking at arts, don't you think so?  Nevertheless, I love the movie and I love the music.  The fact that it is based on a true story, makes this movie even more inspiring.  Without arts (paintings, music, sculpture, dance, literature, etc.) there will be no culture, no history of people's life.  How can people not appreciate arts?  Don't you know how important arts is to us now and the future?

The Monuments Men, good movie.  Love it ^_^

taken from Google Image

No comments: