Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno

Finally, it's here in Malaysia.  Finally, I get to watch it.  However, the movie doesn't end here.  There is one more part of this movie.  I will only get to watch it next week.  Luckily, I only need to wait for a week, and not a year.  So, I am rather grateful for that part.  Anyway, let us get back to the topic.  When I found out that the sequel of Rurouni Kenshin will be in Malaysian theatres under Golden Screen Cinema, I was ecstatic.  I watched the first one, and fell in love with it immediately.  I never thought that it could be done, taking anime/manga and turn it into a real life movie rather than animation movies, and actually nailed it!  So, I definitely have high expectation for the sequel.  I didn't know there'll be two parts until yesterday.  Haha.  The problem with sequel is, it has to be as good as the first one, if not better.  That is just how it is.  So far, I have heard mix reviews about it from people around me.  Some say it is not as good, some say it was great, and there are also those that say it is too different from the original manga/anime.  So, I definitely went to the cinema today not knowing what to expect.  The movie was 2.5 hours, more or less.  Honestly, I actually love that movie.  Yes, it is different from the original story, but still, in its own way, I enjoyed it.  Of course, it is not perfect.  One of the things that I don't like to happen to sequel is changes of original cast.  In this case, the character Yahiko was played by a different actor in this sequel.  It didn't really make such a big difference, since Yahiko is not among the big big characters in this story.  But still, it just my pet peeves really.  It bugs me.  Hahahaha.  Kind of like a mild film OCD maybe?  Hahaha.  Another opinion on the casting, the actor who played Sojiro, there's nothing wrong with him, I think he portrayed the role rather effectively.  But I guess it is something in his aura and energy, that doesn't feel the same with the Sojiro that I watched in the anime series.  Also, the Sojiro in the anime looks much younger and has a more innocent yet dark personalities.  Other than that, I don't have much issues with the cast.  Then, the music, I love the music, but I notice, some of the themes were taken from the exact same recording from the first movie.  I have nothing against using the same themes or motives in sequels, but I kinda wish that it's a new recording so that the mood fits more into the current scene of that movie.  I love the theme that was used, there's one with violin solo that I really love from the first movie.  I love it because it fits perfectly to the mood of that scene from the first movie, but when the exact same recording was used for the sequel, but in a different situation, as nice as the music is, it just doesn't have that perfect fit, kinda like puzzle pieces that can be put together, but don't fit perfectly.  Don't underestimate the power of music in bringing out the mood in films.  People got scared in horror movies, or cried during a sad scene...the mood is being emphasised through the music.  When you score for a scene, you score for THAT scene, if you want to use the same thematic motives for different scene, of course you can, but make sure you write that thematic motives in a way that specifically for that particular scene.  So, in the scoring sense, I'm not as impressed as I was during the first film, mainly because it was recycled, and not because it's bad.  Well, that is my opinion, nothing more.  

Other than that, this movie was pretty good.  Takeru Satô did a good job in reprising his role as Kenshin, he fits the character Kenshin perfectly.  I can say the same thing for all other cast that were reprising their roles from the first movie.  I love this movie in a sense that it is very Japanese, not in term of the cultural setting, but in the movie aspect.  You might not see intense action like those in American movies, it might not be as fast paced as Hollywood action movies, but that what makes Japanese movies...well, Japanese.  They can build suspense through minimal movement.  Like in this one scene when Kenshin got a new katana, and no one, including Kenshin knew what kind of katana that is, everyone assume it is a katana that can kill.  The fact that Kenshin froze in the same position, with his eyes close, with one of his hand ready to draw out the katana...and he stayed in that position...probably for a full minute, at least that's how long it feels like.  You don't see that in an American action movie.  Yet, the suspense that it build, can actually get you to the edge of your seat.  Luckily the music for that part was not recycled, at least I don't think it is, so the music fits perfectly and helped with the build up.  You wanna know what happened next?  Well, you just have to go and watch it.  Hahaha.  All and all, I enjoyed this movie, hopefully I can get it from iTunes one day.  Haha.  If I am to rate this movie from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best...I will give this movie 8/10 ^_^  I am definitely looking forward to watch the second part of this sequel.  Really curious how plot will go from where it ended  :)

*picture taken from Google Image

No comments: