Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Into the Woods

Today, I went to watch Into the Woods.  I was certainly fascinated by the idea of the plot when I first watched the trailer.  So, I thought, I must watch this movie to know how creatively the stories connected.  Not to forget about the powerful cast, how can you resist the temptation of watching Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp in the same movie?  Even though, technically, their characters never really meet each other.  As a matter of fact, there is not enough Johnny Depp in this movie, not enough of his character The Wolf.  Feels like his character could've developed more but just didn't get the chance to do so.  As a matter of fact, I feel like this movie is a little overrated.  Don't get me wrong, it was not a bad movie, I actually enjoyed the music, and I love the lyrics to some of the songs because it really reflect the real world today.  However, it lacks of that special ingredient that can turn it from "not a bad movie" to "a very great movie."  They are a few stories going on within the same movie that somehow intertwined with each other, some of the stories are understandable, some of the stories leave me hanging and make me wonder what the heck just happened?  And some others just feels too rush to the conclusion, which in the end doesn't feel like there's a conclusion.

Did this movie manage to reach my expectation?  Unfortunately, no, it failed to do so.  There are plenty of other musical movies such as Les Miserables, Sweeny Todd, and such, that gave greater impact.  This is of course, only my opinion.  Like I said, I do enjoy the songs in this musical, just that the movie as a whole doesn't seem to reach my expectation that I had for the movie.  Probably it is my fault, I should not put the expectation too high to avoid the movie to feel a little overrated.  But, I just can't help it.  With the interesting plot, the powerful cast, how can I not put high expectation for this movie to be epic?  But it turn out to be pretty ordinary.  Will I recommend this movie...well, I will not stop you from watching it because at least you can enjoy the music, but I will definitely tell you to lower your expectation just a little so you will not end up feeling like I do at this moment.  If I am to rate this movie from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this movie a 6 ^_^  I feel like I'm a little generous with the rating this time, but I do love the casting and the music, I am just not impressed by it.  That's all.

*Image taken from Google Image

No comments: