Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Giving Back

Hello everyone.  Ever since the start of 2015, I only update my blog after I watched a new movie at the cinema.  Frankly, I went there quite a lot so far this year.  As a matter of fact, I am watching another movie tomorrow, so, stay tune for a review on Kingsman: The Secret Service.  However, at this moment, I want to talk about something else.  Before I go into it any further, I want to wish a very happy Chinese New Year and a blessed holiday to everyone around the world.  Enjoy your time with the people that make you happy, and stay safe :)  

For this festive season, I just want to talk about giving back.  You can give back to another human being, or you can give back to other things around us.  As long as you give back.  Honestly, I think the human species can be the most dangerous, selfish, cruel, and ignorant species ever existed.  However, there are still good in all of us, which always give us hope to humanity.  I always like the idea of giving back, you don't have to go all Angelina Jolie in order to achieve the idea of "giving back."  As long as you are sincere to help, and not hoping for anything in return, not even from God, for me, that is the true idea of "giving back."  I know, a little weird to think people do charity without expecting anything from God, because quite frankly, that's usually the main reason why people that I know do charity.  Apparently it will get them closer to heaven.  Now, I'm not saying it is wrong to think that way, and I am not looking down on people who do, or don't.  Still, I feel that the best way to do charity is when you do it for yourself.  You do it because it makes you feel good to be able to help others.  Just seeing them in a better state, may it be another person, or an animal, or even nature, just seeing them better make you feel really good.  When you do it just for that, you won't even think about what kind of reward you will get from other people, or the universe, or God.  That is usually what I aim for when I want to give back to the society.  To do it out of complete sincerity.  Now, I am no saint, I admit sometimes I do it because I want good karma back in return, but I always remind myself to look at the result of my action, or imagine it if I can't see it just yet, and just feel good about that.

Also, sometimes people misunderstood the concept of charity.  For example, when you donate, people have this idea that it must be in a big sum of money, and therefore say that they can't help anyone.  I don't blame them really, because most organization set a minimum amount of money for people to donate.  People seems to always forgot that charity doesn't mean you have to give money.  You can give things, like donate clothes that you no longer use to people who don't have anything to wear other than what they already have on.  Or, you can volunteer and help out.  Those are charity too, those are "giving back" as well.  The idea of "giving back" is to give in ways that you can afford to give.  It can be just a can of food, or it can be a box of can food, it really doesn't matter, as long as you are sincere.  I admit, sometimes I wish I have an unlimited account to help others, but I don't have that, so, I help out in whatever way that I can.  I donate my old clothes, bags, and shoes, to homeless people.  I remember donating money to the Palestinian funds, and I also donated money to The Trevor Project that I found out through Tyler Oakley from Youtube.  The Trevor Project is like this organization that help to save lives and prevent suicide.  I also became a monthly donor for WWF through the Symbolic Adoption, I subscribe to the "Adopt a Turtle" pack.  I do what I can, as long as I know I can afford it.  I know some people love to be "in-the-act" kind of charity, I am more of the "provider" person kind of charity, haha, does that make sense?  I like to give money, or donate what people might need.  I provide.  It doesn't matter how much money I give, if it helps, even just a little bit, I will be grateful to be part of it.

So, here I am, whoever reading this, to encourage you to give back, in whatever ways that you can manage.  Remember, the main thing is to do it for yourself, not to expect a reward in return.  Be grateful that you are able to help other people and not the one in need of help.  Be grateful that you have the power to help make this world a better place.  Believe me, it feels really good when you give, rather than receive.  It makes you feel special.  Especially if you do it without expecting anything in return.  So, try to aim for at least two act of giving back in a year that you can.  Of course, the more will be better, but, the main thing is to do it because you want to, not out of obligation.

If you are looking for a place to start, you can do what I did and donate to WWF to help protect endangered species.  You can go to their website and join one of their "adoption" pack, you don't have to be a monthly donor, you can just do it once.  Click this picture below to get you to that website, this is the link to WWF Malaysia, but you can just Google search WWF in your own respective country, I'm sure they have the same adoption pack, but maybe with different animals.  Anyway, click this picture below:

*Click image to be directed to WWF donation page

Or, if you don't feel like helping animals, which is, weird coz animals deserve our help just as much as other people do.  But, if you like helping people more, then, maybe you can check out the Trevor Project to donate, or just Google search something.  Here, I put the video of Tyler Oakley talking about the Trevor Project:


There, something to get you started.  Hahaha, I am not asking you to donate, I'm just encouraging you to give back to the society.  It doesn't have to be in a form of money, it can be from your time and energy to literally help them.  Just, give back, in whatever ways you feel appropriate that can help make this world a better place.  It feels good to give something out to the world :)  Enjoy it, do it for yourself, do it because you want to, don't expect for any rewards in return.  Lastly, I will say again, Happy Chinese New Year and Happy Holiday everyone!  Have a nice day ahead.  Oh look, it passed midnight, haha, which means I'll be watching movie later in the day.  Bye!  Take care.

No comments: