Thursday, December 17, 2015

Star Wars - The Force Awakens [NO Spoilers, Don't Worry]

Today, I thought of joining the hype of Star Wars fandom and go watch The Force Awakens.  I confess, I will not consider myself a massive fan of Star Wars as I barely remember the original six movies.  I don't know if I've seen any of them, I am pretty sure I didn't watch all six though.  This is mainly because I was raised by family who are not into Star Wars.  I watched the three more recent Star Wars films that was supposed to be the prequel.  Don't hate it, and don't love it either.  Anyway, even though I don't remember if I've watched the original six movies (which pretty much means no), but I know how the story went from one movie to another.  I've heard people talk about it so much that it feels like I've seen it.  Which is a good thing because when I watch The Force Awakens, I was not lost at all, I know the original characters and how they all relate to each other.  Best of all, I was not lost with the plot at all.  So, that's a really good thing.  

Anyway, my experience for the Episode 7 will be, I'm not impressed.  Don't get me wrong, I think it is an enjoyable movie, I love many things about the film, and it was nostalgic and very cool to see the original cast again.  However, it just didn't reach my expectation.  Maybe because I put my expectation too high, but can you blame me?  The hype is so big that it'll be difficult to resist the temptation of not expecting it to be a mind-blowingly epic film.  It definitely carries a lot of that cliché Hollywood movies, which has nothing wrong about it because it will bring us back to the memories of the original Star Wars movies.  However, it is way too predictable.  I don't know if it's because of Disney or because that's just how they want it to be, but I can always guess what happens next.  At the same time, I was hoping for some plot twist so that my guess will be wrong and that will give me more elements of surprise, but that never happened.  Pretty much everything that I guessed will happen, happened.  

I guess that's why I wasn't very much impress by it.  As for the music, well, it's John Williams, what else can I say.  Although, it might not be as memorable as the original Star Wars, but all the original themes will definitely make you smile.  But the newer themes are kind of so-so to me.  I don't know, in general, the whole movie experience is kind of so-so to me.  Maybe it's just me, there are probably many people out there that will disagree with me, and I accept that.  Will I recommend people to watch this movie?  Well, if you are a fan of Star Wars, you should definitely watch it, even if you're not, you can still watch it.  Like I said earlier, it is still an enjoyable movie to watch.  It just didn't really reach my expectation, that's all.  It might reach yours, you never know.  Or better yet, lower your expectation.  Hahaha ;)

If I am to rate this movie from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this movie 5/10.  Only because I had a really high expectation over this movie.  Probably my fault for not learning from  my lessons with past movies with big hype.  Oh well, that's that.  If you haven't watch the movie, I hope you will enjoy it anyway :)

*taken from Google Image

No comments: