Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Divergent Series: Allegiant

Hi people!  I had a movie session today as a way to have some me time after practicing.  I went to watch Allegiant, the third instalment of the Divergent Series.  I must say that the promotion for this film is rather poor, because I didn't even know it's now showing in the cinema.  All I see is Batman v Superman, or Captain America 3, or Legend of Tarzan, or even Suicide Squad.  But I don't think I see much promotion for Allegiant.  Then again, it is quite a competitive year for films this year in my opinion.  So much promising movies are coming out.  If a film don't get enough promotion, it'll just be drowned by other movies.

Anyway, coming back to this movie.  So, this is the third of the Divergent Series.  Like all other movie series based on novels, they just have to split the last one into two films.  In a way it is not a bad thing because it gives them more space to put in as much as possible rather than rushing through the book.  On the other hand, it is also annoying, because it means you need to wait another year (or more) for the next one.  I choose not to read the books mainly because I don't want to know the plot.  It works wonderfully with the Hunger Games series, but it kind of failed with this one.  I know how the story will end because some people are just mean.  

My experience watching this movie is quite similar to how I feel like about Hunger Games.  In a way, Divergent kind of reminds me of Hunger Games a little bit.  It's not the same, but the similarity of the plot is there.  I will not go into Hunger Games because I am not here to compare.  But watching movies with this kind of plot reminds me very much on why I hate politics.  It shows how power can make people become blind, cruel, and heartless.  It shows how one's pursuit of power can lead other people into misery.  It shows just how one person in power can turn the world upside down with them saying "sacrifices need to be made" even though in truth they are not doing any sacrifices at all and just sits comfortably in the comfort of their luxurious house.  However, this kind of movie also shows how only one person is needed to wake people up from what is happening around them.  It takes one person to be brave enough to stand up for what is right.  We have loads of those who think of themselves as someone like that in the reality world, but most of them hide behind the screen of their computers and just throw hate at people and use hate to gather people together against other people.

Personally, I enjoyed watching Insurgent more than I did with Allegiant.  I feel like Insurgent has better planning of the plot.  Allegiant felt a little draggy at some point.  I kind of understand, it is the "part one" of the final movie after all.  Though I have to admit that the closure of Allegiant is really nice.  Even though it's a cliffhanger, but it's a cliffhanger with a closure, if that makes any sense at all.  In a way, if I want to think of this as a platform for the "part two" then I guess Allegiant did a good job at it.  But as a movie in itself, there was some moment where my mind just wanders off thinking about other things.  It's just enough to make me feel "cool, I can't wait for the next one" rather than "oh my God, take my money and just let me watch the next one now!" In other words, it is a good enough platform to still get me to watch the next one whenever it comes out in the future but not epic enough to get me at the edge of my seat and praying for the next one to come sooner rather than later.

Will I recommend this movie?  Yes, but only if you've been following the series, or at least knows the plot and the characters.  I don't think it will make sense if you don't know what's going on just jump into the wagon.  If I am to rate this movie from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this movie 6/10.  My next movie in my wish list is Batman v Superman.  I know it's coming out in just a few days here in the UK, so hopefully I will get to watch it on release day.  No promises, but we'll see.  Until next time, toodles~ 

*taken from Google Image

No comments: