Monday, April 04, 2016

The Huntsman: Winter's War

I had a movie session today.  I watched The Huntsman:  Winter's War.  Today is the release day for this movie right here in the UK.  This movie is both the prequel and sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman.  The one with Kristen Stewart in it.  One of the reason I like the first movie is because of Charlize Theron.  She is basically one of the main reason I watch The Huntsman:  Winter's War, aside from seeing Emily Blunt in the same movie with her.

My experience in watching this movie is almost similar to the first movie.  It's pretty neutral.  I don't think it's mind blowing, but at the same time, I don't hate it.  The reason I said this movie acts as both prequel and sequel to the first movie is because the plot took place before the "Snow White realm" as well as after.  I personally think the plot was written quite effectively to link it around Snow White and the Huntsman.  The smart thing is, the plot goes around and works as prequel and sequel, and yet the story line is really simple.  Even if you haven't seen Snow White and the Huntsman, I don't think you will have any problem in understanding The Huntsman:  Winter's War.  It basically carries the theme of love and betrayal, as well as the power of love.  Like I said, it's a pretty simple plot but was written rather nicely.

Generally, this movie is not as serious as how it's portrayed in the trailer.  As a matter of fact, I find the trailer quite misleading because the plot is not like what's featured on the trailer at all.  There's a lot of humour in this movie, it's not extremely funny until you cried laughing or anything, but enough to make you smile I guess.  At least enough to make me smile.  Also, the trailer made it looked to be so epic, again, misleading.  I actually find it annoying, because when I want element of surprises, it's from within the movie, and not from the trailer.  It's just a personal opinion, it might be what other people like.  Not necessarily for me.

What I really want to add is that I find this movie features a lot of beautiful scenery.  It's hard to not pay attention to the beautiful scenery in the background.  To see nature is rather refreshing because a lot of movies these days use too much green screen that everything seems so fake.  But in this movie, not only do I get to enjoy the little humour, and nice fight scenes, with simple plot, I also got to enjoy the beautiful scenery in the background.  There are obviously scenes that was shot in the green screen, but at least there are also some beautiful nature scenes included.

Charlize Theron makes a remarkable evil queen,  She has the right energy and attitude for it, absolutely wicked.  She will definitely grab your attention with her presence as the evil queen.  Emily Blunt as someone with dark character is not something I'm used to.  Sure, she has done a few darker roles previously.  But I've always seen her as Emily from Devil Wears Prada.  But I kind of like her as the Ice Queen.  The Ice Queen is dark, but for an entirely different reason from The Evil Queen.  I will not spoil it, but just know that The Evil Queen is the purely evil one, not The Ice Queen.  So, it kind of suits Emily Blunt in a way, so it's still a nice performance from her.

Will I recommend this movie?  I won't beg you to go watch it or anything, but I will definitely not stop you from watching it.  I still think it's enjoyable, I like the humour in the movie.  If you love Charlize Theron from Snow White and the Huntsman, you will enjoy watching her again in this one.  Or even if you just love Chris Hemsworth, then you will love him in this as well.  I think he's adorable in this one, not as serious as how he was in Snow White and the Huntsman.  If I am to rate this movie from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this movie 6/10 ^_^ That's all from me for now.  Until next time.  Toodles~

*image taken from Google Image

No comments: