Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Out of the Shadows

Hello everyone.  I'm back with another review for another movie that I watched just now.  It's the sequel of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, or simply known as TMNT for convenience in typing.  I enjoyed the first one, it's a fun film, funny and simple.  It's always refreshing when you get to see superhero type movie where they don't destroy the city/world in order to save it.  Which you can expect from TMNT because they work in the shadows and don't really let themselves be seen by the public.  So, when I went to watch the sequel, I kind of expect the same thing.  I do admit that I was slightly nervous with the idea of Michael Bay as one of the producers because I am not a fan of Transformers.  It was probably good the first time, but as more sequels come, the more I am less impressed by it.  The last Transformers was by far my least favourite one and I kept looking at my watch wondering when the movie will end.  So yeah, I was a little nervous that Michael Bay produced TMNT.  Thankfully, TMNT is not like Transformers.  So that's a huge relief.  The sequel was actually pretty enjoyable.

The first thing you need to keep in mind with TMNT is that it's for kids.  So it is more light-hearted and simple than other superhero movies that we have seen from Marvel or DC Comics.  That doesn't mean it can't be good though.  I think the plot is pretty good.  It is definitely a simplified version of a plot in comparison to how it would be like in a Marvel or DC movies.  But basically, it is based off brotherhood, and working as a team.  I think one of the things that make TMNT fun to watch will be the comedic aspect of it.  These turtles have their own personality and each of them create some funny moments from their personality that I think anyone with siblings can relate to.  I know I can, I have two sisters and a brother.  But I think the humour might not be as memorable as the first one.  Like the elevator scene from the first TMNT, that is really cool.  Not so much in this one, but they are suppose to be a little more mature in this one considering they are more grown up.

Then, there's Bebop and Rocksteady.  Man, those two idiots are so annoying.  And that makes them great though, because that's how they are suppose to be, and I think Gary Anthony Williams (Bebop) and Myles Humphus (Rocksteady) were both great at being so annoying that I was shaking my head on how annoyed I was.  Hahahaha, I know it sounds like it's really bad, but I am actually saying this in a good way.  It pretty much means that they did a great job in being annoying, which is how both of these characters should be.  But the villain, Commander Kraang, he's a little ridiculous in my opinion.  I mean, I know it's suppose to be a kid's film, but still, it just feels too off and not evil enough.  I can't take that guy seriously, he looked like a mutated fish, or a crossbreed between a fish and an octopus that just went wrong.  Probably it would've worked if he is more evil, but he is not even that badass of a villain, which makes him slightly ridiculous.  Shredder was still a better and more intimidating villain in my opinion.  It probably would've been better if he was the central villain instead of Kraang.

Generally, I can see some people who might prefer this more than the first TMNT, but in my personal opinion, I still think the first one is better than this sequel.  It is still enjoyable, I had some good laughs, and I like being annoyed by Bebop and Rocksteady.  However, I find the first one is more enjoyable and has better plot than this one.  Will I recommend this movie?  Yes, it's fun.  I actually don't think it is too difficult to understand this movie even if you have not seen the first TMNT.  So, even if you have not seen the first one, I don't think it will be a problem for you to just straight watch the sequel.  Of course, it's more fun if you have seen the first one, but even if you haven't, it shouldn't be a problem.  It's not as complicated as Marvel movies.  If I am to rate this movie from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this movie 6/10.  That is all from me for now, until next time.  Toodles~

*taken from Google Image

No comments: