Monday, September 12, 2016

Kubo and the Two Strings

Hey people.  It's been awhile, huh?  Before I get into Kubo and the Two Strings, I just want to say that I watched Sausage Party the other day and forgot to write a review about it, lol.  So I will just quickly give my rating for that movie.  From 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I give that movie 6/10.  Okay, now, getting back to topic: Kubo and the Two Strings.  This film came out probably last week here in the UK...I think.  I wasn't really paying attention, all I know is that when I checked the cinema website, it's already showing.  One of the main reason that really got me to see this film is the fact that it is stop-motion animation.  And I always admire stop-motion films.  I think they don't get enough credit compared to other types of animation.  I mean, yes, other animation films are great, but I always find stop-motion to be artistically amazing.  Kubo and the Two Strings has the combination of advance animation technology with stop-motion...so there are times when you forgot that it's actually stop-motion because the animation quality is so good.  Personally, in my opinion, I love the Henry Selick kind of stop-motion, like Coraline, The Nightmare Before Christmas (which is produced by the incredible Tim Burton) or even the famous Fantastic Mr. Fox, directed by another talented director, Wes Anderson.  I have heard some people say Fantastic Mr. Fox is a bad quality animation...but I personally love it.  Because I can actually see the frame-by-frame effect of the stop motion, and seeing some of Wes Anderson's films, I have a feeling that is the artistic approach that he was aiming for.  Nevertheless, I still enjoyed Kubo and the Two Strings and I love it even more that it's a stop motion film.

The story line is fairly simple and straightforward, which is good, because that way you get to pay attention to the animation.  The film is basically about a boy finding his own story, it is a nice story about a child finding his own way in life after losing pretty much everything, with the help of a monkey, a human beetle, and a living samurai origami.  It has good humour, there are times I got goosebumps, it has good music and highlight a different culture, which is one part of Asia (because Asia has many cultures, lol), most of all...it is definitely suitable for everyone.  Kids will enjoy the film for its humour.  Adults will enjoy the film for its value.  People like me will enjoy the film because of the stop-motion, the music, the plot, and the animation.  It pretty much covers all aspect.  Will I say it's mind-blowing?  In terms of plot...nahhh, but only because films that are targeted for younger audience are usually a little simple for someone that enjoys complicated plot like myself.  But in terms of animation quality?  Absolutely.  However, just because I don't find the plot mind blowing that does not mean that it's bad.  It is actually really entertaining.  I swear to God, there is one scene when the villain sisters appear for the first time, I just got flashback of Coraline and that just gave me the spook, hahahaha.  Here, let me just put a behind the scene video here so you can get an idea on the amount of patience is required to do a stop-motion film, which is why I have great admiration for it.  Not to say that other animations don't require patience, but there's something about the process of creating a stop-motion film that's just amazing to me.  Enjoy!



I really do think Laika Entertainment did a great job at advancing in the stop-motion animation industry.  I hope this will highlight not only future stop-motion films, but pretty much all stop-motion films in existence prior to Kubo and the Two Strings.  I mean, just watch Coraline for heavens sake...or any animation directed and/or produced by Tim Burton.  There are tons of great stop-motion animation out there and they don't get enough credits compared to other animations like 3D animation for example.  I highly recommend you to watch this film, there's something for everyone.  If I am to rate this film from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this film 8/10 ^_^  Until next time, toodles~

*image taken from Google Image

No comments: