Monday, November 21, 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Hello.  Everyone is talking about this film ever since it came out last week.  It was flooding my Facebook newsfeed, on how people are saying how great it is.  I've seen critics saying that it's so-so, some say good, so I thought, I can only know for sure after I've seen it.  Which I did today ^_^ I already know not to expect this film to be like Harry Potter, although it's basically from the same universe as Harry Potter.  One thing I have to say about my main opinion about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in general, and this might be an unpopular opinion...I thought it was okay, not great.  I can sort of hear a cry of disbelief just by typing that.

Okay, let me explain myself slightly further.  I enjoyed it, I really do.  Will I say it's the best film I've seen in 2016?  Absolutely not.  Will I say it's bad?  Absolutely not.  Will I say it's amazing?  Absolutely not.  Again, I'm hearing cries of disbelief.  I think J.K. Rowling went a little too Hollywood with this one, I get that it's the American side of the magical world, so it's understandable for it to be a little Hollywood.  It was nice to see new magical creatures, and I love how Rowling came up with all these creatures, and they were beautifully designed, but it's just feel like it's trying too hard to be better than Harry Potter.  The beginning felt a little too rush, I wish it slows down a little rather than just showing all the newspaper clips of the magical crisis, and then straight jump to Newt (Eddie Redmayne) with his briefcase.  Not to forget, the intro feels too superhero-ish.  Which brings me to the next point.....I felt like I was watching Marvel that got lost in a wizardry world.  This whole "destroying-the-city-to-save-the-city" thing is too Hollywood...too superhero style.  Again, trying too hard.  Alright, enough with the cries of disbelief already, but that's just how I feel.  The whole magic side of it was actually nice, there were time when I felt it was a little too extravagant, but I guess it created a different magical culture from the British, which is fine I guess.  However, the overall shape of it is just not original enough.  I feel like I've seen way too much of it in Hollywood films that it becomes predictable, and repetitive.

Although, if I want to trigger an argument, I recall when Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children came out people were debating on white-washing...not enough diversity.  Well, how about Fantastic Beasts?  Isn't it exactly the same?  Why are people not complaining and bringing out their 20-page thesis paper on Hollywood white-washing?  Why?  Because it's J.K. Rowling?  Because it's from the Harry Potter universe?  Bias much?  Double standard?  Because it's in the 20s so not that much people of colour?  Well, Miss Peregrine's was set in rural area of Wales during WW2, isn't that the same as well?  Say what you want, but I am seeing a little of hypocrisy there.  I am not accusing that everyone is, just in general.  Triggered?  Well, it's just an opinion.  An unpopular one I guess.

Getting back to the film, I know there are more sequels to come, and it is interesting to see where the story goes, will it get better or not.  It's not clear about the villain, and where he stands in the plot.  We know it's Johnny Depp, and I find that slightly odd, but then again, what kind of villain he is, still remain a mystery.  I am also curious on where the plot stands, can we still call it Fantastic Beasts? Let's face it, the plot isn't really about catching magical creatures, they just happened to escape from the briefcase and Newt just tried to catch them all again, but the main central plot is not about "where to find them" it was about that thing called Obscurus.  However, I am interested of this obscurus and how it can relate back into Harry Potter.  In general, I am curious to know how Fantastic Beasts will relate with Harry Potter, as I'm sure, or at least I hope, that's what will happen from the coming sequels...that it will act as "prequel" to Harry Potter.

So, that's my "unpopular" opinion on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.  If you don't agree with me, I just want to tell you, that it is okay.  It doesn't make any of us right or wrong, it just means that I have my opinions, and you have yours.  Nothing wrong with that, agree to disagree ^_^  If I am to rate this film from 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I will give this film 6/10.  Until next time, toodles~

*image taken from Google Image

No comments: